Wednesday, December 2, 2020

Rewatchables: "Apex Mountain" for movie podcasts?

 I love movies and I embraced the Ringer’s Rewatchables podcast before it was even on its own feed, listening to early “Hall of Fame” episodes covering “Jerry Maguire” and “Heat.” Bill Simmons and his Ringer colleagues get at the great scenes in the movies they choose, and unearth interesting trivia about the films, like casting choices that were made, especially if notable actors were turned down for parts or declined them. 

What really makes me tune in over and over again to episodes of this show is the banter. In the most recent episode I listened to, covering “Caddyshack,” Simmons and colleague Sean Fennessey make semi-mocking, semi-admiring references to how much cocaine all involved in making this movie were doing at the time it was made. I’ve seen the movie more than once but I can’t remember how long ago I last watched it, probably at least several years. Now that I’ve listened to this episode, I don’t really need to go back and re-watch it, though, because Simmons and Fennessey made the funny scenes they describe really come alive, particularly Ted Knight’s performance. As they observed, it’s unclear whether Knight was really in on the jokes of the scenes but his tone as the heel of the movie worked perfectly. 

 

The show has its own esoteric award categories that help bring out the hosts’ views of why the movie was rewatchable even if it’s not necessarily a great movie. These include an overacting award named alternately after Mark Ruffalo in “Spotlight” and Saul Rubinek in “True Romance,” a “heat check” award for the actor who appears briefly but makes the most impact in their short amount of screen time, most rewatchable scene, an “Apex Mountain” award for which person in the production (this can include the director, writer or even inanimate objects or themes in the movie – you’ll see – for whom this movie was the peak of their career or saw them at the peak of their powers in the entertainment business), and a “that guy” award for the cast member who is such a familiar face turning up in lots of movies without the public really knowing their name. The nature of these categories really make the discourse about the movies a lot of fun.


The show occasionally has notable guest panelists. Quentin Tarantino recorded three episodes with them in one fell swoop about a year ago, covering "Unstoppable," "Dunkirk" and "King of New York." Issa Rae joined in for the "Groundhog Day" episode some months ago.

 

I could go on and on about moments I have enjoyed from the Rewatchables but the simplest thing to do here is completely let my nerd flag fly, and give you a list of the episodes I’ve listened to, and bolding the ones that inspired me to actually go rewatch the movie that was covered, or in some cases, go watch it when I hadn’t seen it before (bold & italics). And now, the tale of the tape. I've listened to about 36 episodes, if I haven't forgotten any with this list. Of these, 10 of them inspired me to go rewatch the movie again in recent months. (Maybe this is a function of our long-running pandemic lockdown).


Caddyshack

Groundhog Day

Back To The Future

Boomerang

Say Anything

Basic Instinct

Total Recall

Pump Up The Volume

Usual Suspects

Seven

Rocky IV

The Exorcist

The 40-Year-Old Virgin

Talented Mr. Ripley

Unstoppable

King of New York

Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

Edge of Tomorrow

Cast Away

Do The Right Thing

The Shining

Beverly Hills Cop

Dead Poets Society

Proof of Life 

Dave

Taken

The Godfather

Jaws

Midnight Run

Michael Clayton

Heat & “Re-Heat” 2nd episode on same movie

The Departed

Zodiac

Jerry Maguire

Titanic


Yes, I had not ever seen "Jaws" until more recently. A big hole in my movie fandom, I know.



No comments:

Post a Comment